by staff at American Pet Professionals
A big thank you to everyone who is contributing to this massive list of information, resources, and guidance for our pet industry. Shout out to PIJAC for tirelessly working on making sure our pet care businesses are included in the list of essential businesses.
We are doing our best to provide the most up to date information, state-to-state for what is considered essential businesses in the industry and additional business information that could help your business. If you don’t see something for your state, please email us at info@AmericanPetProfessionals.com a factual and actual link, and we will add it to this list. Please understand that as things change day-by-day, hour-by-hour some information may need to be updated here, but usually when you click on a link within this list the updated info (especially state by state) will be on there, sometimes you have to click around a bit. 🙂
New York State Essential Businesses for the Pet Industry (I love ya NY!)
Interim Guidance for Animal Care Operations – March 22, 2020
Companion Animals (NYS)
– Care and feeding of companion animals in shelters, kennels, rescues, operations and pet stores
– Pet food manufacturers, distributors, and retailers
– Essential veterinary care, including spay/neuter, treatment for infectious disease
– Animal shelters receiving seized, lost or abandoned animals
– Adoption of animals from within New York State
– Pet boarding facilities
– Service dog training and care
“It also includes equine operations and companion animal/pet stores and shelters; veterinary services for equine, companion animal and other businesses considered essential; and related support/service operations.”
Here is the LINK and if you don’t see your pet care business listed, there is a spot within this document to have your service added:
State By State Executive Orders:
This is a massive list of information state-by-state, we would suggest you look at it for your individual state:
UPDATE: 3/27/2020 – This massive list by PIJAC shows state by state what pet businesses are deemed essential:
UPDATE: 3/28/2020 – Here is a link to contact your State Governor to let them know about your pet care business and keep them aware of what pet parents need as essential items and services to care for their pets during this time. Thanks to IBPSA for this link!
UPDATE: 3/31/2020 – Here is a link to find out more information for applying for unemployment:
Important information for Veterinarians:
Guidelines for use of personal protective equipment (PPE) during the COVID-19:
Animal Care, Control and Animal Shelter resources:
- Webinar for Animal Care and Control Professionals
Information and Informational LINKS:
- 211 is a free, confidential referral and information helpline and website that connects people of all ages and from all communities to the essential health and human services they need, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 211 can be accessed by phone or computer.
- Red Cross https://www.redcross.org page for information. Right now, they are looking for blood donors.
- United Way 1-866-211-9966
Pet Food Pantries:
Many local areas have pet food pantries available if you have fallen on hard times and need assistance looking for pet food to help feed your pets. Please contact your local human food pantries and animal rescue organizations to find out how to qualify. This information will be different town by town – so please be proactive and find out this information and share it with others who may need help.
Remember we are working on this daily – so if you have factual information for your state, area of the industry – please email us the info (or comment below with the link).
Stay safe everyone! We will persevere and we are all in this together. APP is here for you always.